Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tool #10

One of the most important things that I want my students to be aware of is credible sources.  There is a lot of information on the internet and students need to be cautious about the credibility of the site and the author.  They should also be taught the skills and processes in which to verify the authenticity of the website they are using.  Secondly, I want my students to practice proper online etiquette.  This includes online harassing, accessing inappropriate content, and plagiarism.  I also want my students to understand that the internet is a public place and any actions they take can be accessed by millions.  Their safety and privacy can be at risk if they are careless when exploring the online community.

The resource that I found most useful was Moving at the Speed of Creativity.  I like how it outlines all of the issues involved with moving into a digital world.  

I think the most impactful way to teach students about digital citizenship is to show them what can go wrong.  Although it is a negative approach, I think students will truly understand the dangers and consequences if they are not proactive digital citizens.  I would also teach them by setting an example.  If students see me as a digital citizen, hopefully this will encourage them to be one as well.

Parents play an important role in developing their child's digital citizenship.  I think parents should spend some time surfing the internet with their children.  Perhaps I could have activities in which both parents and students can practice digital citizenship skills such as verifying websites for credibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment